Filipino Families of Skokie
In 1985, Saint Lambert Parish (a Roman Catholic Parish of the Archdiocese of Chicago located at Skokie, a northern suburb of Chicago, Illinois) formed the Spiritual and Social Activities Group, composed of twenty four (24) families. This group functions as Parish Council overseeing the parish’s fund-raising and social activities.
From this core group and together with other Filipino-American families of Saint Lambert Parish, the Filipino Families of Skokie (FFOS) was born. The FFOS was organized primarily as a Filipino spiritual group for the parishioners of Saint Lambert Parish. Its main purpose is to unite, promote, support, and engage in activities fostering and enriching the spiritual and cultural heritage of the members and of St. Lambert parishioners.
- Meetings of the Spiritual & Social Activities Committee of Saint Lambert Parish.
- Annual Bratfest celebration
- Hospitality Sundays/Coffee Hour
- Weekend Mass Greeters
- Mother Butlers, among others
- Bi-weekly novena devotions to the Santo Niño, Our Lady of Fatima, and San Lorenzo Ruiz de Manila held at the homes of the member families.
- Annual celebrations of the feast days of: Santo Niño, San Lorenzo Ruiz and Our Lady of Fatima.
- Annual Salubong (Early Easter Encounter)
- Annual Simbang Gabi celebration – an Archdiocesan advent Filipino celebration
- Quarterly After Dinner Dances where majority of the proceeds are donated to Saint Lambert Parish.
- Archdiocesan activity (e.g. Midwest Youth Group Conference) to foster unity in the Asian community.
The Filipino Families of Skokie was incorporated on June 5, 1989 in the State of Illinois. Membership is open to Filipino-American Families of Skokie, specifically parishioners of Saint Lambert Parish. There are no membership fees to join the group. All that is needed is a commitment to participate in the spiritual and social activities being promoted by the organization and the parish during the entire year. A Board of Directors, composed of the following committees, governs the Organization:
- Finance Committee
- Policy and Planning Committee
- Public Relations Committee
- Membership Committee
The Filipino Families of Skokie today
After more than two decades from its inception, today, the Filipino Families of Skokie can be considered as one of the most active, most organized and most efficient Filipino-Family group in the U.S. With no less than 35 member-families, the FFOS (and the FFOS Choir) is undertaking and/or assisting in at least twenty major activities annually for Saint Lambert Parish and for its members:
- Sto. Niño Novena and High Mass
- Salubong/Easter Service
- Novena and High Mass for San Lorenzo Ruiz de Manila
- Novena and High Mass for our Lady of Fatima
- Simbang Gabi Novena and High Mass
- 7 Hopitality Sundays
- 5 After Dinner Dance Fund Raising Activities
- Bi-weekly devotions to the Santo Niño, Our Lady of Fatima, and San Lorenzo Ruiz de Manila
- St. Lambert Fund Raising Activities, among others
- St. Lambert Seminars
Filipino Families of Skokie Choir
The Filipino Families of Skokie Choir consists of energetic and fun loving men and women of the Filipino Families of Skokie (FFOS) who love to sing. The choir was organized to support FFOS’ objectives of fostering Filipino spirituality and to perpetuate the group’s culture and traditions. Membership of the Filipino Families of Skokie is required to join the choir.
The choir sings all of the Mass celebrations sponsored by the Filipino Families of Skokie at Saint Lambert and/or other churches. This devotional choir also sings at weddings, birthdays, anniversary celebrations, concerts and funerals.
The group meets on Tuesdays
Filipino Families of Skokie Choir singing at the multicultural mass 1-4-09.
video courtesy of Cynthia
Contact the FFOS:
Email (all inquiries): email@example.com
Email (website admin): firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact the FFOS Choir:
FFOS Choir Director
Support the FFOS Activities:
Please make your check payable to:
Filipino Families of Skokie
3871 Jerome Street, Skokie, Illinois 60076-3922
Filipino Families of Skokie is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization. Contributions are tax deductible as allowed by law.
For questions and comments about this website please contact Rex at email@example.com